17 October 2008

WIP: cricket costume, 4

Costume completion! After sizing the smock on Zoe last night, I sewed hook and loop dots on the sides, stitched joints into and attached the legs, and sewed the wings on the back. Before coming down to Irvine, I stuffed the abdomen with a bit of polyfill at Eric's suggestion (spot on, Eric, thank you!). Here's the documentary picture of the completed project, the back of it, draped over the futon.....



Much as we adults might, Zoe does not love the costume. She seemed to enjoy the parts of it before they were all assembled. She grabbed the sparkly pipecleaners Emily got for antennae and took to holding them onto her head as "tenna", and she clasped the wings to herself and hopped around the living room for a bit. She even took the stuffed fabric tubes, held them next to her own legs, and then mama's legs and identified them as such, but when it was all together, she wanted not much to do with it. She seems semi-interested in it when it's on mama, who tried valiantly to convince Zoe to don the outfit at a playgroup halloween party today, but Zoe was more interested in going sans costume. She accepted the "tenna" though, which Emily wound into her pigtails. After the third or fourth try at getting Zoe to wear the costume, she was sufficiently distracted long enough to get used to it, and played on the wooden climbing structure long enough for a few photos. If I may say so myself, it's even cuter on her than I had even hoped.



edited to add a few more photos:

11 comments:

Wayfarer Scientista said...

beautiful. it really is. I love it.

Mama said...

You did an amazing job! She is so very cute in her cricket outfit.

froghair said...

Wayfarer & Mama -- thank you kindly! I had a great time working on it, and I'm already looking forward to next year's costume! Of course, her grandmother might just beat me to it!

Lisa said...

that is amazing. colin and i are in awe.

froghair said...

Thanks Lisa & Colin!

sonia said...

Came across your blog while searching for a cricket costume for my 2 year old son and you are truly talented. I wish I had the time and talent to take up your hobbies but am currently busy chasing after 4 kiddos under the age of 5 (including 10 month old identical twin girls)! My son will have to settle for a much less gorgeous costume this year but the little girl who gets to wear your creation is very lucky.

froghair said...

Sonia -- thank you! It struck me as amusing that this costume, while worn by a 2 year old is actually *for* the adults. She doesn't really understand what halloween is or even quite what dress-up is. Good luck with your cricket costume -- I am sure your son will love it.

Anonymous said...

omg! she is so adorable! Looks just like her mommy too- the resemblance cracks me up! I love what you did with the costume- you are so talented. Let me know when you're headed back this direction and we'll get together! *hugs*
-Michelle

froghair said...

hi michelle! and thanks! Yes, Zozo does look quite a bit like her mom, but she also resembles her dad -- one of those perfect blends.

Betty BeadBug said...

That costume is so cute!

froghair said...

why thank you, betty!