25 June 2008

WIP Wednesday

First, the garden, as an update was specifically requested by Dad.


We've started harvesting kale, lettuce and spinach, and a few strawberries have ripened up.



We've also got artichokes, zuchini, and a total of nine tomato plants, including five Amish Paste plants, specifically for canning.


==================================
On to the crafties!
I know it may not look like much, but I am pretty darn excited about this washcloth: it was my first real time following a pattern, complete with slip-slip-knits, yarn overs and knitting-two-togethers. woo hoo! Next up, I have a date with Debbie Bliss' Baby Knits for Beginners, a whole mess of her baby cashmerino yarn and some size two needles....


I made a solid start on the stained glass window quilt when I found out that the recipients are making a sudden whirlwind trip to Seattle this weekend, but two things happened to stall it again: first, I thought this was going to be an impossible week at work, with physically (not to mention mentally) impossible deadlines, so I thought I would be at the office until midnight and later, but that didn't pan out (aw, shucks!) and secondly, I realized that if I pushed it and dropped some of the finer details I have in mind for this, my first art quilt, I wouldn't be nearly as happy with the finished product as I otherwise hope to be, and I want to do it right.


I got seriously stalled on Seamus' cicada pouch when I ran into an engineering problem. I think I've got it figured out, now I just have to put down the other projects to pick this one up again....
And my two Bend the Rules swap items are well underway....



I have been missing my beads lately... stay tuned for some bead work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh - Thank you. You have an impressive garden. More variety than many others that have much more space. How do you control the bugs?
Dad

froghair said...

Dad -- thanks! we like to try lots of things to see what works, then plant accordingly the next season. For example, I have had it with peppers. They sounds so great, and look awesome, but the feeling doesn't seem to be mutual, so we won't be planting them next year.
As for the bugs, we squish the aphids (green, black and grey ones) with our fingers. They like the artichokes, the kale and especially the hops, where we unleashed an army of lady beetles a few weeks ago. Yes, most of the beetles flew away, but not before laying dozens of patches of eggs (and some are still around). The baby lady beetles (larve) are actually more voracious eaters of aphids than the adult beetles, and they don't have wings yet, so that's really what you want anyway. Now, your assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to find a photo of a lady bird beetle larve and check out what they look like. They are rather ugly, and don't in any way resemble their future selves. I wonder how many novice gardeners go around squishing them or spraying them with death-in-a-bottle, not knowing what they are and just assuming by the looks of them that they are garden predators. I know I would have, had Eric not showed me one first.