15 January 2008

in lieu of WIP

I have a funny story instead. I work in cube land. In my office, you tend to get to know those people in the cubicles near you. One of my cubicle neighbors once mentioned that her husband grew up in Salt Lake City, and based on what I perceived her age to be, I extrapolated that there was a decent chance that her husband may have gone to high school with one of my parents (since between mom and dad, they have two of the four high schools of SLC covered [at the time]). Well, it turns out that cube-neighbor's-husband went to one of the other high schools -- where my grandmother taught English. At our office holiday party last weekend, I asked him if he rembembered having a teacher named Mrs. S, and he stepped back and said yes, the name was very familiar. I told him that she was my grandmother. He laughed and said that thinking about it that way made him feel old, and I tried to comfort him by pointing out that she would have been 100 years old next year. Cube-neighbor reported back to me yesterday that over the weekend, they had asked her husband's sister (who attended the same school) if she remembered Mrs. S, and she did! She said that the students in her class had given Mrs. S such a hard time that Mrs. S would get so upset, she'd have to leave the classroom to calm down before continuing with the lesson.

I recounted this story to Eric last night, and he asked me if that sounded right to me. I realized that I only knew my grandmother as a grandmother, and not as a woman. She passed away when I was a naïve 15 years old, and while I have strong memories of her, I can't say I knew her well. Nevertheless, I have a hunch that the story is accurate. A warm and loving woman, I don't think my grandmother was a sugary sweet sort of person, and even if she had to step out of the classroom to breathe a little, I bet she held her own against a class of high schoolers.

Edited to add: My mom emailed me today, saying "You are right about her...not sugary sweet. And not one to let any little snot noses run her class. But she was one of my favorite people and I miss her." I miss her too.

4 comments:

Lola...again said...

I enjoyed reading your blog tonight. I stumbled across it and had to stop because of the name. I knew a man who would say, "I'm fine as a hair on a frogs back, and twice a slippery." I named my sewing machine after him.

donna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
tiger said...

,徵信社,尋人,偵探,偵探社,徵才,私家偵探,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,抓猴,出軌,背叛,婚姻,劈腿,感情,第三者,婚外情,一夜情,小老婆,外遇,市場調查,公平交易法,抓姦,債務,債務協商,應收帳款,詐欺,離婚,監護權,法律諮詢,法律常識,離婚諮詢,錄音,找人,追蹤器,GPS,徵信,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信,徵信社,徵信公司,尋人,抓姦,外遇,徵信社

日月神教-任我行 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,色情,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女