15 August 2007

a funny thing happened on the way back to seattle

So I'm at Norman Y. Mineta International Airport, headed back to Seattle on Monday morning. I'm sitting on the floor of the crowded boarding area when the gate attendant announces that they've overbooked the plane and that they need four volunteers to take a later flight in exchange for a free rount trip ticket voucher to anywhere Alaska Airlines flies. Seeing as how I was in no rush to get back to Seattle since I was going to have to wait until Eric's shift ended before heading home anyway (approximately 3.5 hours), I'm perfectly happy to take a later flight. So I jump up, dump my book and bagel (but not the coffee) in my bag and run to the gate counter. They take down my name and ask me to take a seat until they're ready to rebook me onto a later flight (probably getting to Seattle via Boise, they tell me). So I sit patiently and wait for my name to be called, and when they do, they tell me that due to some other passenger cancellations, they can get me onto my original flight and give me the voucher! Woo hoo!

As it happens, I am headed to Seward, Alaska in September to visit a dear friend, and I just happened to have been lazy and not purchased my ticket yet. I love serendipity.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nooooo!
Pay for your Alaska ticket and use the voucher to come here! We don't have that much time left and you haven't seen and done it all. Besides we miss you...

mom

froghair said...

aw, thanks mom! I miss you guys too, but I'm stretching my vacation hours as it is (you will have to come here for the holidays...).

Wayfarer Scientista said...

YAY! Sorry Andi's mom but I haven't seen her since her wedding and I'm really excited about seeing her!!!!!! And I bet it's cheaper to fly to where you are then it is to Alaska. (And Pancit's still wondering if Finn will come visit too...)

froghair said...

actually, wayfarer, it's about half as much to fly to Anchorage as it costs to fly to my parents in Baltimore, Maryland. But the fact remains that I have negative vacation hours, and my parents *will* be coming to see me in Seattle in September, so it's really OK. Right, mom? : )

froghair said...

and oh yeah... Finn won't be joining me. I was hemming and hawing and batting my eyelashes at Eric to let me bring Finn along when I remembered that you have in your house...a...KITTEN. No good. As much as I would love for Finn and Pancit to play, Finn does NOT play nice with cats. : (

Anonymous said...

rats.

mom

LadyInRedwoods said...

Geezz....I get stuck in a blizzard for four days and all the airlines offered me was a coupon for a "discount" on a room. Of course there weren't any rooms available within 50 miles and "discount" is a term that really means "we'll overcharge you just a little less than everyone else."
Perhaps I'm saving up all my serendipity for finding a winning lottery ticket some day...
Oh, yeah....when are you gonna visit me?(c:

OtherMatt said...

I mentioned it a few weeks ago, and will conbtinue to lead the charge for New Year's in Seattle - just say the word...