03 April 2007

lent

Despite Eric's repeated reminders that I am not Catholic, I have decided to give up jeans for Lent. 12 hours into my decision (which I made yesterday morning, already having dressed for work in a skirt, pictured*), I was in crisis. I had to go work in the yard -- what else could I possibly wear?!? Pajama bottoms? A dress? Does a denim skirt count as jeans? This was going to be harder than I thought (and I was already prepared for some hardship). And the weather certainly isn't helping! It's forecast to be in the 50s all week, with rain on and off. I finally settled for a linen dress with long underwear.



I will try to keep my faithful readers updated with my success (or lack thereof). Today I opted for khakis -- maybe a cop out, but I have to go straight from work to school and it's 40 degrees outside!



* I can't tell you how long it's been since I've dressed up and spun in circles in front of a mirror!

10 comments:

KnitMoka said...

love the skirt, sock combo! Good luck with your goal of no jeans. Not being catholic myself, I have no idea how long lent is. A week? two? A month?

andi said...

I'm so glad you asked! I had thought it was the week before Easter, but since you asked, I looked it up, and it turns out that I am late for lent! It's the 40-day period between Ash Wednesday (21MAR) and the day before Easter (7APR).

I'm not sure I could go an entire 40 days without jeans. Maybe I'll try again next year!

matte said...

i had to go back and make sure you didn't post this on the first. giving up jeans? that's crazy talk. nothing comes between me and my calvins.

andi said...

LLL...that's exactly the point! giving up something you love.

sorta makes me sad to think of my crumpled up jeans on the floor... alone, with no one to dance with... (sob!)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
snooks said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KnitMoka said...

Yowzers! 40 days without something you love? Can you tell me the motivation there? I don't think I'm understanding. Can't think of a thing that I love that I'd be willing to do without..... maybe brussels sprouts. It would be hard, but I think I could manage. Seriously... they are my favorite veg.

andi said...

well, I am really just treating it as a personal challenge -- I don't expect to gain anything from it except for some use of some of my lesser-worn skirts. But if you want more, there's always Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent

mjg said...

With socks and a dress like that, you really need to drag Eric contra dancing.
Regarding lent: cue the episode of M*A*S*H, when Father notices Klinger praying and says "Klinger, I thought you were an athiest." Klinger replies, "I gave it up or Lent."

donna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.